Monday, October 12, 2009



Day One.
Well, here it is, departure day is upon me. Hope I've done all I should before leaving, but I'm sure I'll find something missing when I arrive at my daughters. But you always hope for the best.
Left home just before 4:00am headed to the Clinton/Mukulteo Ferry landing. Arrived just as the 4:40am ferry was pulling out, and thought what took so long for me to get here. Oh Well, the 5:10 is just a few minutes away. And sure enough, about 10min's later it was pulling in to the ferry slip. We got loaded up and departed Whidbey Island right on time. About 20min's or so later, we arrived on the mainland & I headed down the 405 to head East on the 90.
Things went along very smoothly and I passed through Spokane & Couer de Alene by noon headed on toward Bozeman Montana. Arrived in Bozeman about 5:15pmMDST and decided I had had enough for the 1st day. Stopped, got a motel room, fed & watered GunR, took him out to take care of business, climbed in the van & headed for a resteraunt. Had a fair dinner, and then headed back to good old Motel6 and got ready for bed & crashed. Thought I would Blog my 1st day, check the weather ahead, and then retire for the nite. UhOh, no wireless modem in the bag, DANG! Went off and left it on the desk at home. Oh well, I'll work on it & post it later on. Would like to check weather ahead, so I'll have to rely on the weather channel. Whoa, not looking good, possible snow showers ahead tomorrow. Well, I'll just deal as I go along.

Day Two.
Awoke at 5:00am Wed. and got everything together & packed back up. Took GunR out to do his duty and dangit if I didn't find snow on the ground & blowing all around. Better get stuff loaded and on the road! headed on East on 90 and had light rain, rain/snow mix, sleet, more rain/snow mix & foggy at times. WONDERFUL ! ! !
As I drove along toward Billings, I thought to myself, "What would the road conditions be going through the mountains on the 212 through the Indian Reservations"? I stopped in a rest area & looked at weather conditions ahead, asked the people staffing it what they knew, and was disappointed to learn there was blowing snow/rain & fog on ahead, although they told me the 212 was open & didn't expect it would be too bad. Hit Billings, gassed, got some stuff to eat, and headed on down to Hardin where I would pick up the 212 at the Custer Memorial where I had planned to stop & peruse the Monument as I had never done that in the past. Turned off on the 212, (stiil snowing/raning intermittantly) stopped at the Monument, paid homage to my relatives that had taken on the US Cavalry and won the battle, although the war was lost before they even began. Headed on east, ran into some really nasty blowing snow where visibility was about 50/60yds if that! kept truckin' on toward Spearfish SD, arrived there about 3:30pm and found that I90 was only about 9miles ahead. I rejoiced in that, hoping weather would improve, it did! I arrived in Rapid City SD about 20min's later, and it being not quite 4:00pm, I decided that it was too early to stop & continued on. As I was leaving RC, I saw that the temp was dropping, tuned the radio to a local station and they said SNOW was expected overnite, possibly up to 2/3in's. Great!!!
I arrived in Wall, SD and decided it was time to whoa it for the nite. Did the now usual routine with the GunR bud & Motel6 was again quite accomodating to us. I then got dinner & headed back to the motel, ran through my evening routine & again hit the sack at about 8:30 or so.

Day Three.
Awoke at 5:30, took GunR boy out to take care of business & found 3in's of snow blanketing everything around. OH BOY, what lay in store ahead? Got packed up again, got on the road at 6:00am, and found road conditions all right. The weather front that I travelled in all the previous day had passed on during the nite, leaving it white blanket everywhere except on the roads. Not too bad I reasoned and upped my speed to 75mph. Truckin' on down the road. Things are cool so far. The sun came up and I could see the clouds on off to the SE, but nothing directly ahead. I stopped in a couple of places (rest stops) and let GunR do his thing, stretched my legs and rested for about 10/15min's and then continued on. I also decided this would be my last day on the road. I had driven 13hrs on Tuesday, 11 1/2 on Wed, but this was looking to be @ 13/14hrs. But, it would be worth it! Kept on & stopped in Plankinton MN for gas (Last time), and continued on my way.
Called my daughter, and told her I would be at her place @ 8:00pm, and that she should have my G'son (who didn't know I was coming) answer the door when I rang the bell. I said I would stand with my back to the door & wait 'til he opened it before turning around & surprising him. Went on, and passed through Madison WI, where I found the drivers to be as crazy as those in Seattle. It must be some sort of Liberal thing where they all have to be, ME 1ST!!! What a bunch of rude drivers as any I've seen on the roads in Seattle. All must be thinking with their backsides up around their ears! Got on down to Janesville where I called my kid & told her where I was, and that I was getting off the highway onto the back country roads and arrival would be about like I thought, 8:00pm.
I rolled into their driveway just as the clock came up on 8;00 and went to the door. I rang the bell, turned my back to the door & waited. My G'son opened the door & I turned around & said, "HI Josh"! He was stunned! He stammered & stuttered for a moment then hollered, "Granpa"! We hugged, and the look on his face was priceless. Needless to say, he is my favorite boy, even though I have other G'kids.
Went on in & greeted my daughter & son-in-law. Had to relate my road adventures, had some dinner, visited a little, brought in my stuff to do me for the nite, and went on to bed.
I AM HERE!!! Wonderful. It was great to have the road trek behind me.

So, there you have it. My trek to WI went very well. My visit here will be a lengthy one as I haven't been able to visit in 3 years, and don't know if I'll be able to do it again in the future.
All my blog readers, I apologize for not posting very often in the last couple of years, but I've had some health issues I've had to deal with & find that I'm now a Super Senior Citizen. That's one that's 70+ for all you younger people. Get ready, you too are headed into the SSC category in your future, if you're lucky!



Post a Comment

<< Home